KeVita, Inc. \ Ventura, CA | Marketing Manager \ Wednesday, March 28, 2012. 3:45PM Peter Rotter Music Services \ Calabasas, CA | Administrative Assistant \ Wednesday, April 4, 2012. 11:00AM Movember \ Venice, CA | Social Media Intern \ Thursday, April 5, 2012. 2:30PM
- Inspired by Katherine Strobeck.
One of my best friends at Pepperdine is Shelby Anne Parsons. She also happens to be an interpersonnel communications major. She also happens to be obsessed with Myers-Briggs. She also happens to be very inspirational. I contribute my newfound appreciation for Myers-Briggs to her.
Getting up for HRL Training this past Wednesday, March 21, 2012 was especially trying. 1: Because it is at 8AM \ 2: Because it is on main campus, which from Drescher seems like miles upon miles of travel \ 3: Because I always leave HRL Training feeling like it would have been more beneficial for my life for me to have slept the extra 2 hours before Convocation.
Leaving HRL this year after 2 years of serving as a Resident Advisor, I will wish 2 things. 1: That HRL Training credited towards convocation (Which would A: Get people to training on-time and B: Make it seem more worth it to forfeit sleep to have someone lecture us) & 2: That HRL would work on helping RAs & SLAs know who they are as leaders (Myers-Briggs, Strengths Finder, Color Test, Love Language Tests, etc.) I’ve suddenly become a great advocate for all these things because I’ve witnessed how scarily accurate they are within my last semester at Pepperdine University.
ESFJ | (Extraversion, Sensing, Feeling, Judgment) Warmhearted, conscientious, and cooperative. Want harmony in their environment, work with determination to establish it. Like to work with others to complete tasks accurately and on time. Loyal, follow through even in small matters. Notice what others need in their day-by-day lives and try to provide it. Want to be appreciated for who they are and for what they contribute.
That’s just the official description. All the other research i’ve done for ESFJ are a stark mirror of myself. Dauntingly Accurate.
I just want to have a handle on this week. So many things running through my head, so many deadlines, so many things to think about. Senior year and wanting to treasure all the time and savor the moments, but having responsibilities and obligations. My heart is overwhelmed and I just want to have peace about everything. I am fully aware that life is bigger than the worries of today and school assignments, but how do I subside the anxiety in my heart. Today in convocation we heard about the life of Maurice Hilliard who was running on PCH and had a heart attack. He was supposed to speak today at convocation, but instead we had a memorial service for him. How unplanned and uncertain is our tomorrow and our time, yet I find myself just so frustrated by the obligations of today. I don’t want to be spending my time in international business law when I could be spending time with friends and investing in the lives of those around me. Then, i’m hit with this reality, if this were to be my last day on earth, I would have wanted to do my best with everything I did that day. It isn’t about what I did that day, the ordinary things, but how I did that day. With integrity, with passion, with intentionality, and in love. In seasons of joy and when life is going great, lean into them, enjoy them for all that they’re worth. These are hard times when reality sets in, when the way you spend your time on earth matters, it matters a whole lot; I hope that my left legacy is one that I simply loved on people and made their lives even just a little bit better. Why do we wait til the end of people’s lives to celebrate them? I hope that I celebrate people’s lives everyday and their presence in my life. The day you enter the world is a BIG deal, but every subsequent day after that is too. I hope that when I meet you, the time I spend with you, the friendship that I have with you is one that I treasure and you know that I celebrate everyday. May I never forget what a privilege i’ve been blessed with to be a part of your story. Thank you for every moment, for everything you’ve shared from your heart, for every part of your story i’ve been able to be apart of. It is my upmost privilege in this life to be called your friend.
Tuesday. March 20, 2012. 8pm.
Maritsa, Rachel, Christi, Jared.
My daily outfit courtesy of Songfest, Policy, Internship, School, Life.
1. 16 ounce Sugar Free Red Bull\ Policy, the dreaded Pepperdine Business Capstone course: courtesy of Dr. Venkatachalam “V” Seshan, has lead to all-nighters for days this week. A big thanks to Michele Ashle Williams for her generous donation to my productiveness in the form of 16 ounce Sugar Free Red Bull. This donation was coupled with the statement ”I don’t know how else to help/love you.” Oh Policy, why you so mean?!
2. Friends who promote your own Health & Wellness (Shelby Anne Parsons & Maritsa Tina Smith)\ Again with Policy. Since the end of Spring Break, my life was supposed to be committed to Policy. Oh wait, there’s Songfest, Internships, Job Searching, Relationships, and Life. So Friday Night after Songfest Rehearsal 10PM - 12AM, I headed over to Shelby & Maritsa casa until the Policy Party was going to begin at 2AM. After a long attempt at tackling strategy, i’m grateful for my wonderful Friends who promote your own Health & Wellness (Shelby Anne Parsons & Maritsa Tina Smith) who made me an excellent blonde roast of coffee, let me snuggle with Bronx (the beloved bear from New York), let me unintentionally hog the bed, fed me some delicious funfetti cake, didn’t let me go to Set Production until 12PM (which turned into not at all), and just loved me.SO.MUCH. I love you Maritsa Tina Smith & Shelby Anne Parsons! Thanks for being in my life.
3. “California Casual” \ “California Casual” is a term coined by Katy Yasick for wearing a button up, blazer, flats, and jeans. Yes, jeans. There was a chance that I might present today on Section 2.1, so I took the gamble left the dang business skirt in the car and wore the jeans. And I couldn’t be happier about my decision. “California Casual” is simply the best.
4. Childhood Photographs \ I firmly believe that no matter how bad your day is going, a Childhood Photograph of your some of your best friends will without a doubt bring a smile to your face. Today I was graced with the beautiful smiling faces of 2 of the cutest little faces. Still smiling in Policy: an unheard of scenario. :)
1. My Memory Foam Mattress \ Thank you Mama MacDonald :) The 2 hours of sleep (Brought to you courtesy of the workings of Policy, HOT HOT HOT Songfest :), Internships, School, and life) I got last night were increasingly enjoyed because of My Memory Foam Mattress.
2. The Wonderful Guy in the SAC Parking Lot \ I pulled into the SAC lot at 11:52 (not so wonderful planning for my 12:00PM Policy Class) and there were cars doubled parked, parked in the red, and a series of cars circling the lot. Not gonna lie, I was a little worried. But as I pulled around the corner towards the prime parking spots, The Wonderful Guy in the SAC Parking Lot pointed out prime parking spot right across from the SAC stairs and stood there til I pulled in.
3. Those Who Reside in the Back Right-Hand Corner of my Policy Class \ I should have dressed up for Policy presentations today, but I took the gamble banking on the chance that section 2.1 wouldn’t have to present today. This would only be possible through the great stalling strategies of Those Who Reside in the Back Right-Hand Corner of my Policy Class who intentionally asked intelligent 50 minute thought provoking questions for the Dr. Venkatachalam “V” Seshan to answer. Hence, it is now 1:49PM and class ends at 1:50PM and I am sitting here writing this post.
4. Free Pepperdine Class of 2012 Senior Crewneck \ Didn’t know what to wear this morning, then I remembered my Free Pepperdine Class of 2012 Senior Crewneck. Totally justified to just wear jeans and kicks, mostly because at least 25 other Pepperdine seniors decided the same thing this morning. And just to put a little icing on the cake, I met up with Shelby for dinner and she just happened to be wearing her crewneck, jeans, and sperry’s too. Nice!
I’ve been told that if you plan every moment of your life, you leave no room for God to move in your life. I look at countless days where BAM. BAM. BAM. every hour, every minute, every second of my life is planned. Our aim is efficiency, but His aim is much more.
During November 2011. I wrote what I was a thankful for everyday in the spirit of Thanksgiving. I found myself grateful for things like:
15. I’m thankful for the library. Studying in the library til 3am [Snacks, redbull, rockstar, and of course study buddies.] It’s times like these that make me feel like a real college student.
18. I’m thankful for pumpkin soup. So delicious.
19. I’m thankful for God’s plans. I’m thankful that He has bigger dreams than I have for myself.
The commonly negative things, the small things, and the great things.
Being Intentionally Grateful improved the perspective of my day and the lens through which I chose to see my days. And I liked it. I liked it a lot.
It is my goal to be a life long appreciator. So i’ve decided to start my Thankful Campaign: that everyday throughout the day i’d be intentionally grateful and make note of it.
- EVO out.